Artist Joseph Pisani Abstract Painter, Photographer, Globetrotter
While many dream about one day making it there, Joseph Pisani left his hometown of New York in the mid 90's, and hasn't looked back since. Over the past few decades, Joseph has extensively traveled through forty-four of the fifty US states, and seventy-one countries. Armed with little more than a backpack, sketchbook, camera and a one-way plane ticket, he searches out exotic adventures while purposely avoiding the easy route.
«Sure, there's been some pretty rough moments along the way,» he explains, «but it's the trouble spots that often bear the most exciting memories.»
These experiences, such as stowing away on a ferryboat in Greece, exploring uninhabited islands in Indonesia, chasing serendipity through Nepal, or riding a bicycle from Laos to China become the subjects of his paintings, sculptures and photographs — each one telling a unique tale.
Sure, there's been some pretty rough moments along the way, but it's the trouble spots that often bear the most exciting memories.
Pisani's Artistic Method
Pisani explains, «I attempt to lead my viewers in the right direction about where I was, and what I was thinking or feeling at the time of creating a particular painting through the poetic titles I give each piece. These somewhat obscure titles serve as clues and are often connected to a specific story or memory of something I experienced during my travels. Then, after giving this initial clue, it is my specific purpose to leave the viewers on their own to question how the title relates to the art itself and to decide how the artwork makes them feel in the context of my clues — the initial dialog between the work of art and audience.»
places that have truly inspired me inspiration is sometimes found in the strangest of places
- My Self-Guided/Self-Driven Safari in Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe & Namibia
- Sleeping in a tent in Africa with Lions, Elephants, Hippos, roaming free beside me
- The chaotic Asan Tole market in Kathmandu, Nepal
- Being alone inside The Great Pyramid
- Angkor Wat and Beng Mealea Temples in Cambodia
- The Colored Lakes of Flores, Indonesia
- Cave diving deep beneath the Red Sea
- Finding Serendipity in Sri Lanka
- My first solo trip to Europe
- Walking the path of Sorrows, Jerusalem
- Sleeping without a tent in the desert of Southern Jordan
- A bamboo train ride in Battambang, Cambodia
- The Enchanted Islands around El Nido, Palawan, Philippines
- Muang Sing, Laos and the Bicycle ride to the Chinese Border
- Living in Prague in the mid 90's
- Traveling across the USA by car
- The New Zealand Sky
- The Grand Canyon, Arizona, USA
- Going grocery shopping in every new country I visit
- Exploring the Fez souk in Morocco
- My visit to the hospital in Yangon, Myanmar
Let's keep in touch Sign up on my Art Newsletter
Sign up for my art newsletter and receive invitations to exhibitions & private events that are only available to my newsletter subscribers.